Nails are a subtle and chic way of elevating your appearance. Get a new coat of colour and voila, you are a whole new personality. But which nails should you get? Will gel or acrylic nails do the trick? What are acrylic or gel nails anyway?
It might get really overwhelming trying to differentiate between the two and even picking which one to rock. We’ve lessened the load on your back and created this detailed guide for you. From the application process to how long each set lasts, we’ll explore everything that sets the two nail extensions apart, helping you make an informed decision for your next salon visit.
What’s the Difference Between Acrylic Nails and Gel Nails?
The main difference between gel nails and acrylic nails is in how they are applied and the materials used to apply them. Acrylic nails combine a powder and a liquid, which is a monomer into a paste, which is then applied to your nail, molded into the shape and length you desire, and then allowed to air dry. If you do want to change the shape and length of your nails, this is the service you should go for.
When it comes to gel nails, a thick liquid is applied to your nails which are then placed under UV light for it to lock and cure onto your nails.
Now that we’ve had a summary of these services, let’s go a bit deeper by looking at and comparing the application process for acrylic nails and gel nails.
Acrylic Nails Application Process
- First, your nail is filed down to create a rough surface on which to place the glue.
- An artificial nail is then glued on your actual nail.
- Then the acrylic powder and liquid are combined to create a mold which is then glued to the artificial nails.
- Finally, the mold is shaped and buffed to create the custom length, colour, design, and shape you desire.
Gel Nails Application Process
First, your nails are prepped by filing them.
● This is followed by the nail tech applying a thick gel over your nail which is allowed to dry under a UV lamp and then various coats of colour and styles are applied to your liking.
● Then your nail tech works with one hand at a time applying various coats of polish.
● He/she will then place your hand under a UV light after applying one layer to allow it to cure before applying the next layer.
How often do Gel Nails and Acrylic Nails Last?
Gel nails can last for 2+ weeks, with proper nail and hands at-home care. As for acrylic nails, they can go for about eight weeks with appropriate care and regular in-fills and touchups.
How are Gel Nails and Acrylic Nails Removed?
With both types of nails, we recommend that you get back to your nail tech and let him or her remove the nails. Doing it yourself, instead of handing it over to a professional, may result in a myriad of nail problems.
Which is More Harmful; Acrylic Nails Or Gel Nails?
When it comes to which type of nail will damage your natural nails, it all boils down to how well you take care of your acrylics and gel nails after a nail salon visit. This is why we created our range of products that ensure that nail care goes well beyond the nail salon.
With our products and tips about how to care for your nails from our nail technicians, your nails will be safe from any form of damage.
In the quest for fabulous nails, the choice between acrylic and gel nails boils down to your personal preference and lifestyle. Whether you opt for the robust durability of acrylics or the sleek flexibility of gel, both offer a stunning canvas for you to express yourself. So, whether you’re a glam guru or a low-maintenance enthusiast, the key is to find the style that suits your vibe and lets your personality shine – because in the nail world, there’s no one-size-fits-all, just like the uniqueness of each individual’s fingertips!